Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Run at the Rock + Other Stuff

I haven't checked in a while. Here's what I've been up to.

I did a 14 mile race weekend before last called Run at the Rock. It was a 14 mile trail run that was very challenging for me. We had a bunch of rain during the week leading up to the race and the mud was incredible. All in all though, I did have fun. I saw a bunch of friends from the running club and it was cool to soak in the good vibes. My time was 2:09 (9:16 pace) and I finished 74/169 overall and 13/21 in my age-group (males 40-44).



Also I did a ~4 hour hike last Saturday in the Uwharrie National Forest. I've got a 20 mile trail race coming up there on 2/3, so I thought it'd be good to get in some recon and hike at least a portion of the trail. It was really beautiful, though cold. It was 18 degrees for the low that morning. It did warm-up to the high 40's, low 50's by the time I finished though. Also the leaves were so dense on the trail that it was completely hidden in many spots. I'm sure glad they did a good job w/ marking the trees w/ blazes, otherwise I might still be out there.

I didn't see one person until I was almost finished w/ the hike. That's like 3.5 hours just by myself. I was a little nervous though, because hunting season is open and I could hear rounds going off in the distance. There's something really spiritual and exhilarating in the solidarity I experienced. I thought of so many things and felt a oneness w/ God and a new appreciation for my life.

Here's some pics on the trail I took w/ my cell phone camera.

No comments: