Friday, July 27, 2007
Racine is for Racers
I got my last tune-up race in for IMMoo in Racine, WI last Sunday. The race was called the "Spirit of Racine Half". Here's some thoughts from the race:
1) Racine is a great town. The downtown area and the area near Lake Michigan were real nice. The locals really came out to cheer for the racers. Some people even ran their water sprinklers to cool down the racers. Very cool.
2) My swim did not go good (44 mins). This is the first race of the year where I didn't set a PR. My goggles kept leaking and I seemed to always be in traffic. My coach told me goggles are cheap and to get new ones often. That's true, because the goggles I wore were the same ones I used at IMAZ back in April of 2006. I've already thrown them away.
3) My bike split was off da chain (2:33). I ain't trying to brag, but I had the 10th fastest split in my age-group; and my age-group was pretty big w/ 122 athletes. I had held a average pace of 21.9 mph.
4) The race was crowded on the bike. I kept running into packs and did my best to avoid them, I even had to cross over the yellow line a few times to get around people. I started in a later wave start and it was just a bunch of people out on some narrow roads.
5) All in all, I feel good about this race. My coach and I talked about pulling the plug on the bike and going for it. I went really hard and based on my performance, I gained a bunch of confidence for a good bike split at IMMoo. I'm going to need it there because that course is hard. I still had some legs to finish w/ a 1:51 run (8:29 pace).
Well that's all for now.