Saturday, September 01, 2007

IMMoo Fo' Rizzle

But that is not what gives me the heart of Kunte Kinte
I'm tryina give us "us free" like Cinque
I can't stop, that's why I'm hot
Determination, dedication, motivation
I'm talking to you, my many inspirations
When I say I can't, let you or self down
If I were of the highest cliff, on the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on to your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down
-Kayne West "Never Let Me Down"

I was in the car listening to the "Democracy Now" radio program and they were broadcasting from New Orleans for the 2nd anniversary of Katrina. One of the interviewees was dropping some heavy philosophy, on how she and the others from NO are survivors. She broke it down about how they tried to kill them w/ the floods, but they persevered. They abandoned them and left them to die, but they survived. Many lost everything, but they still have life.

And then what really got me was that she related her strength and the strength of the others to the strength of my forefathers and foremothers who survived the Middle Passage holocaust. She talked about how the DNA in her is the same of these people, so the floods couldn't kill her and the rest of NO. Her blood is from the stock of ancestors of the historical survival test, these people who couldn't be killed.

That got me to thinking, like Kayne said, I've got "the heart of Kunte Kinte". My coach John Hirsch put me to the test this year. He helped me to believe that I could survive the workouts. I owe that brotha big gratitude. J, its on now, time to put it down w/ a vengeance.

I trained my ass off. I survived. The month of August was the hottest in the history. I survived. I did century rides in the mountains, not hills, but mountains of NC and Virginia. I survived. One of my bricks was a hard 4 hour ride w/ a 2 hour brick and the high that day was 95. I survived.

So when I wake up on 9/9, I will be ready. I will leave it all on the course. There will be no fear. I cannot be killed. I have the DNA of survivors from the Middle Passage. There will be no fear of the water. I will bike w/ a passion. I will run strong. I will finish. I will be an Ironman.

Peace,
Rob

2 comments:

Pam Sinel said...

YOU ARE GONNA ROCK NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!! I will definitely be tracking you on imlive. I am so excited for you. If John and the heat and humidity of NC, the blue ridge mountains and all the sick training you have done can't get you to the finish strong nothing can.

rob said...

Hey P, thanks a whole bunch for the positive vibrations. I appreciate that a lot. When those tough spots come up out there I'm gonna use this to help me get through them.