Saturday, October 20, 2007

Lake Royale Tri

Last Saturday I did the Lake Royale Tri in Louisburg, NC. That was a nice little race (5oom swim, 15 mile bike, 5K run). There were less than 100 finishers, which in a way was a good thing. Sometimes the big races can get almost too crowded.

The race went really good for me, even though I was still getting over a cold. I finally got a podium finish for a triathlon by coming in 3rd place in my age-group. They even had a little awards ceremony setup w/ a staggered podium stand and everything. I wish I had a camera, who knows when that'll happen again. I ended up being 14th overall and there were 9 athletes in my category.

What else is going on? I've started running again, somewhat regularly. I did a couple of group runs last week and it felt good to hang out again. I think I'm pretty much over the post-IM funk. It helped to get around other folks working out. I even got in a Master's swim yesterday.

I had a consultation w/ Coach J and next season is one for speed. Uh-oh, there I've went and admitted it. But like the rest of us, there's a big desire to get faster. I imagine there'll quickly come a point where I'll just do this stuff for the health benefits, but I'm hoping to get a bit more speedy. I'll focus on some running in the winter, short-course tris in the spring, and some long stuff after that. My target race is the new Beach to Battleship iron-distance race in Wilmington, NC, Nov '08.

Well not much else going on. It feels good to be getting back to a normal state of mind. It was somewhat trippy for a while there right before and after IM Wisconsin. Now time to go out for a trail run!

Peace,
Rob

2 comments:

Pam said...

way to go on the podium finish!

rob said...

thanks P! i'm counting on you to get the podium on you upcoming races too.

I went out for a 3 hour ride w/ one of our mutual friends last Sun, Tom Hughes. Small world, he lives in my subdivision. Dude is riding strong, getting ready for IMFL. I couldn't keep up w/ his pace.