Monday, October 13, 2008

4+2 = The Folks That Don't Walk


Yes, hallelujah, its finally taper time. Man it feels good knowing the long stuff is in the books and now its time for my body to absorb the fitness I gained during the year. The one thing about a late year race, it really makes for a long season. But I feel good. Not to get the big head, but I think this Beach2Battleship iron distance race is gonna be a good one for me.

98.9, 120.1, 102.4, and 80.8. Each of the last 4 weekends had long rides + a brick run. That 120 though about did me in. The final race simulator was last Saturday where I got in the 80.8 mile ride and then did a 2 hour brick run for 13.4 miles. Last year when training for IMMoo, I was questioning my coach's sanity when he scheduled that 4+2 workout, but he told me that workout is the difference between those who walk the marathon and those who run it.

Its so good how working out can relieve stress. You know I had been down lately since that madness out in California w/ my relative. It was breaking my heart to call back and hear about the multiple surgeries and worrying about how the future. One thing about being on a good, hard group ride or run is that for those moments I can just zone out and concentrate only on trying to stay w/ the peloton or maintaining good running posture. Then when I finish I feel tired but its a good tired. Not the tired that comes from worry and fear, but the good kind of tired that comes from strong physical exertion.

So it was a good weekend. I got in the 4+2. I rode w/ a great bunch of folks, held close to 20 mph (19.7) on the bike and sustained 8:59 pacing on the run. I guess I still had to workout some more stress so Sunday I went out for 3 1/2 hours of easy riding. Then to put the icing on the cake, Lisa and I went on a nice long walk Sunday afternoon w/ our dog, King. It was so beautiful out, hardly a cloud in the sky and I felt peace.

One,
Rob

5 comments:

Kristoph Kocan said...

Enjoy your taper! Then kick some a$$.

rob said...

Kris, bro I'm so relieved to have it to the taper, though I'm still tired & dragging like a dog at work. Should be better next week.

Dr. Marc and Tanya said...

Feed those muscles with some good clean food, and you will smash the course!! We con't to pray all is well or getting better with Fam stuff.
MJ

Pam said...

I am excited for your IM!!!! You are so ready!I did sign up for Coeur D'Alene but I am not 100% sure I am going to do it. Meanwhile I will say a prayer for your family member.

rob said...

MJ, P - thanks y'all. My niece is still got a long road ahead of her, but I'm gonna keep it on the positive tip. P, IMCDA, that's one of the ones I'd like to do someday. But I think I'm gonna take a year off of IM. I would like to try an Ultra though.