Friday, November 14, 2008

Book Review: Dean Karnazes - 50/50


Since ironman is over and I've had some free time, I got around to finishing another good book. So its time for another book review. I just finished "50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days- and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!" by Dean Karnazes w/ Matt Fitzgerald. One of my co-workers just ran his first marathon, the City of Oaks here in Raleigh, and he let me borrow it. This turned out to be a really good read. I had actually went saw the documentary earlier this year about the 50/50 challenge so I was eager to read the book.

For those who don't know about Dean Karnazes, he's maybe one of the most prolific ultra-marathon runners on the scene today. The 50/50 refers to Dean's attempt to run 50 consecutive marathons in 50 consecutive days. His book chronicles this journey. The writing flowed really good and it was a fast read. I won't give away the ending about whether he met the challenge or not.

One of the big things I came away with from this book was how down to earth and "normal" Dean is, although he does some totally incredible things in terms of running. He talks about his family just like any regular dad, but he also does these amazing 100+ mile running races. Also there are also a number of practical tips/suggestions that he drops along the way for training and racing ultras & marys (mary is running geek short hand for marathon).

All in all this was a good book. In fact I might have to go out and get my own copy to keep around the house. Hopefully it'll come out on paperback.

Peace,
Rob

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob I came across your blog today while looking for other african american ultra enduance athelets. O by the way my name is Clifton Lyles (Cliff). I'm looking to put together a team of all African american ebdurance races for a race in 2010. google me if you get a chance and if your intrested drop me and e-mail Chefcliff@msn.com

Thanks, and keep up the great work

rob said...

Hi Cliff, I'll send you email. That sounds pretty cool.

Pamela Ann said...

Hello Rob,
I heard you mention on another blog that your Dad live near Crenshaw and Vernon. I grew and lived in that area for forty years. Did you grow up in that area?
Great reports too.

rob said...

Hi Pam, yes, I used to live on Angeles Vista between Mt. Vernon and Homeland. That's a trip, I guess it really is a small world. I like LA, but after a few days I miss the south and I'm usually anxious to get back to NC.