Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Know, Another Book Review


Okay, I'm still on the ultra geek tip. My inner ultra geekness just went up a notch since I finished Dean Karnazes book, "Ultramarathon Man, Confessions of an All Night Runner". My bud at work Bev (future ultra marathoner) hooked a brother up and bought me a copy of Dean's book. Thanks BB! Then to top it off, "Ultramarathon Man" is on my main man Lloyd's reading list. Lloyd completed the Great Eastern Endurance Run 100K, so he's got much cred when it comes to recommending anything related to ultras. So even before I opened up the first page I knew it was gonna be all good w/ this one.

I dug this book from the first page to the last page. I enjoyed the "50 Marathons" book too, but this book is even better. A lot better. Dean tells us how he got into this ultra thing and gives us insight of what its like to complete some grande epic ultra races.

To me the most dramatic race was his experience during the Western States 100. That was unreal. The other races were insane too, but for some reason I dug the WS 100 report the best. I guess it was the first race he chronicled in the book and it just grabbed me.

So if you want something good to read, get this one, you won't be disappointed.
Peace,


Rob

2 comments:

Reese said...

This is the book that got me into running ultras. If you don't know yet, Dean is very controversial in the ultra world. But I like him and think he is doing nothing but good. I checked out his 50/50 from the library after reading your previous review. Enjoy your ultra.

rob said...

Reese - Congrats on putting down a Boston Qualifer at the Tucson Mary. I agree w/ you, its all good w/ Dean, but I can imagine controversy surrounding him. I'm hoping to join the ranks of the ultra family early next year.