Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Looking Glass Trail


Lisa and I went up to Asheville for a little getaway and had a nice time. Since we both had a couple of days off of work, we figured a short trip would be in order.

So since I was in Asheville, I couldn't resist getting in a short run on the Shut-In Ridge trail. The STR is near the Blue Ridge Parkway and is in a very pretty area. Lloyd and some of my other friends in our running club did a race there earlier this year and I wanted to see what it was like, so I thought I'd get in an hour run. That trail is one tough hombre. I only ran for a little less than 7 miles but my watch recorded 2700 ft of ascending. I can imagine how tough it would be to run the whole 18 miles of the race.

After cleaning up and getting something to eat, Lisa and I went up to the Pisgah National Forest and hiked the Looking Glass Trail. I found this trail based on some good online reviews, so we figured we'd try it out.

The hike was moderately hard, especially since it was soggy out and the footing was slippery. But despite the footing difficulty and strenuous ascending it was enjoyable and beautiful. We saw waterfalls and some gorgeous rock outcroppings. On the way up another hiker told us to be careful at the summit since it was windy and the rocks are slippery. We both knew to be careful since about a 3/4ths of a mile below the summit there is a flat rock outcrop that serves as a helipad.

Lisa and I both had a good time, though she did have one slip on a wet rock and got a little backside stinger. She was wearing some running shoes which didn't provide a whole lot of grip. I'm going to have to hook her up w/ some good trail shoes the next time we go hiking. Well that's about it. We had a nice trip.

2 comments:

Donald said...

That's a great area... I know the falls well. Nice getaway!
Here's to a great 2009 for you guys.
Happy New Year!

rob said...

D - Happy New Year to you and your fam too bro.